Wednesday 21 October 2009

Bon Jovi....not sheep




I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a huge Bon Jovi fan so imagine my disgust when I realised they have a new album out in a few weeks and I knew nothing about it. That's all changed now and 'The Circle' will be released on November 2nd and 'We Weren't Born To Follow' will be the first single taken from it. It would be fair to say that the New Jersey band have mellowed over their last few albums, culminating in an interesting, if disappointing forray in to Country music on 'Lost Highway', especially after 'Have A Nice Day' had marked a real return to form following the seeds laid down on 'Bounce'.

'We Weren't Born to Follow', in line with a mellower Bon Jovi, is slightly more radio friendly than their older stuff but it's a welcome return to proper rock. It's an uplifting little number with a chorus reminiscent of 'Born to be My Baby' and one of Richie's special miniature solos. If the rest of the album follows this formula then we should be in for a bit of a treat.