Tuesday 20 April 2010

Interview: Alan Pownall



Alan Pownall has found the media furore surrounding him increasing month by month and is now a favourite on Radio 1. Since he picked up a guitar in 2004 he has found himself playing gigs with numerous rising stars including Florence and the Machine, Jack Penate, Laura Marling and Noah and the Whale. His music is very easy going and simplistic in style, which isn't a criticism (much of The Beatles' catalogue could be classed as simplistic), and allows for more scope for his voice to dominate the record. I caught up with him to discuss the album and life on the road.

You went on tour with Adele when you only had a few songs, what did that whole experience do for your confidence?

It was bitter/sweet in many ways. Being there was a great experience but i hadn't been playing for very long so it was very daunting.

Your rise has been pretty meteoric considering you only really picked up a guitar in 2004. How do you handle that?

Six years! Isn't that quite a long time? I don't know, I've been lucky with a few breaks but I don't take it for granted. I've still got a long way to go and that's what keeps it fun and exciting.

You've said you don't consider yourself to have any real 'influences' as such. Do you think that gives you more freedom to try different styles?

Of course I have influences, I just don't consider them perhaps like other writers do. I could write a song and months later i'd notice the similarities to one or many artist I was listening to at the time. But It's subconscious, I've never sat down and tried to write with an idea in mind, I like it to be spontaneous. We are all influenced by our surroundings, I just don't know where to start when I'm asked this question because I know not what influences me and why.

You've been labelled as a folk artist. Do you think that's down to your links with Noah and the Whale and the fact that you fall in the singer-songwriter bracket?

Yes, but I don't really pay attention to all that. I don't see myself as a folk artist at all, and if other people do, well there's very little I can do about it.

How've you found recording the album? How is it sounding?

Making this album was the first time I went into the studio. Before I'd done everything with a mic, guitar and the most basic recording equipment. I learned so much making this record. I can't wait to do it again with a second record. I'm very happy with how it's turned out.

You went on tour with Marina and the Diamonds recently. How did that compare with your earlier touring experiences?

We only did three dates with Marina, and I never met her. The Marina tour doesn't compare to other tours I've done, it was an in out job.

You quit your art course to pursue music. Is that something that you'd like to complete one day?

No, that's behind me. I have no desire to relive that time. I loved it there, but I left for a good reason.

What's next for Alan Pownall?


I'm releasing my debut Album in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment