Tuesday 19 January 2010

Bittersweet Redemption




So I was roaming on Twitter, like you do, and I found a link to the debut video for 'Are You Ready' from a new band called United Nations of Sound. Naturally I checked it out and thought it sounded very Britpop like a kind of thing Oasis or the Verve would do. Of course it was after I thought this that I found out that it was actually Richard Ashcroft's new band. I don't know whether to be happy that I was kinda right or embarrassed that I didn't recognise his voice.

Anyway, it's pretty good. I know The Verve get a lot of stick from people even though, for me, 'Urban Hymns' is a masterpiece, but this is different. It's harder and rougher around the edges. It's got that kind of swagger that's so readily identifiable with Britpop that the charts are missing these days. You think back to bands like Blur and Oasis and even The Verve in their heyday and they just dripped with confidence. I mean the song ends with an epic two minute guitar solo freak out! I can't remember the last time I heard a guitar solo on the radio let alone a two minute guitar solo outro! It could be a breath of fresh air in an industry that seems to be, with a few notable exceptions, stagnating when it comes to new talent. The new album is due for a release around March and will be called 'Redemption'.

Currently the NME has the video exclusive so if you want to check it out then you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment